ITALIAN PASTA FAGIOLI SOUP
This Fagioli pasta soup is one of the all-time favorite soups. It's loaded with vegetables and full of Italian flavor. It's so heartwarming, warm and absolutely delicious!
- 14.5 ounces canned cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounces canned red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 pound mild or spicy ground turkey or chicken sausage
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- 3 medium carrots, finely diced
- 4 ounces (1 cup) dried pasta
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, thyme, rosemary, and parsley then cook, stirring frequently for about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the broth, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, stir in the pasta. Simmer for 9-10 minutes until pasta is al dente.
- The soup will thicken a bit by the time the pasta is cooked. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Remove the soup from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. If the soup seems too thick, gradually add water or more chicken stock and thin to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with more cheese, if desired, and finish with crushed red pepper if you'd like to add more kick!