GREEN BEANS STEW
These green beans pair with tender beef or chicken and a savory tomato sauce.
- 4 cups whole tomatoes, chopped to medium pieces
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 pounds green beans
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 cup red wine
- Snap off the ends of the green beans and discard. Pull out the string from the spine of green beans and break them in half if the beans are too long. Wash and drain the trimmed beans in a colander.
- In a large pot, heat half of the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until they soften. Add in the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, and the remaining olive oil. Add the green beans and mix in well. Add additional seasonings to taste.
- Cover the pot and simmer on low to medium heat for approximately one hour, stirring occasionally. Add more seasoning to taste.
- Towards the end of the hour, check on the fasolakia. The beans should be tender and a sauce should be forming. If you like a thicker sauce, remove the lid so excess liquid evaporates. You can low-heat simmer this dish for hours. If you want more sauce, add more olive oil, wine or water.
- Once satisfied, stir in the parsley. Serve warm with feta and bread. Enjoy your healthy food!