SUMMER BERRY TARTS
This summer berry pie is really special. Butter tart, broken meringue and whipped cream garnished with red berries.
- 1 or 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 20g plain flour, sifted
- 3 free range egg yolks
- 65g caster sugar
- 250ml milk
- Put the egg yolks, flour and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale.
- Combine the milk, remaining sugar and vanilla bean paste in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Strain through a sieve into the beaten egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely. If you put a clingfilm on the surface of the crème it will stop a skin forming on the surface.