GARLIC BUTTERMILK SHARING BREAD
Garlic and herb buttermilk with incredible flavor, a tender and chewy crumb. They are perfect every time. Sweet, delicious and they go perfectly with any meal!
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or 1 tsp garlic granules)
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh herbs
- 1 x 300ml pot buttermilk
- 1-2 tbsp milk, if needed
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 350g plain flour
- zest of 1 lemon
- 100g butter
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, adding the garlic (but don’t let the garlic brown). Remove from the heat and stir in half of the herbs and half the lemon zest.
- Pour about half of the melted butter into a baking dish (20cm square on the base).
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl then stir in the rest of the herbs, lemon zest and the sugar. Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk. Mix to a soft, veryslightly sticky dough using a cutlery knife, ading a little milk if needed.
- Push the dough into the dish (the melted butter will squidge up the sides – this helps to stop the bread from sticking to the dish). Drizzle most of the remaining herby garlic butter over the top. Score into 16 squares then bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown, risen and crisp.
- Brush with the rest of the garlic butter and serve warm. Enjoy your breakfast!