This is the most requested salad recipe. Serve it as a side salad with your holiday meal, or enjoy it for lunch the next day with cubed turkey or chicken on top.
- a few shoots from winter cabbages, such as kale or cavolo nero , optional
- 1 handful of mixed seeds, such as poppy, sesame and sunflower
- 4 anchovies, from sustainable sources
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ a bunch of fresh mint , (15g)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ a white cabbage
- 6 cloves of garlic
- ½ a red cabbage
- 4 spring onions
- 2 large carrots
- 300 ml milk
- Quarter and finely shred the cabbages, peel and finely slice the carrots, and trim and finely slice the spring onions.
- Place in a large bowl and if you’re lucky enough to have any other interesting winter cabbages leaves, you can add those into the mix too.
- Put your milk in a pan on a medium heat with the anchovies. Peel and add the garlic, then bring to a simmer.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes until the garlic cloves are soft, then pour everything into a liquidiser.
- Add the vinegar, oil and mustard and blend for a few minutes, then stop and have a taste. You want it to be quite acidic, but if it’s too acidic add a bit of oil for balance.
- Add good pinches of sea salt and black pepper, then pour it over the sliced veg.
- Use your hands to toss and dress everything and get everyone around the table.
- Heat the seeds in a dry pan for a few minutes until warm, then scatter them over the salad. Pick and tear over your mint leaves, then eat it immediately. Enjoy your salad!