LOW SYN MEATZZA
This meaty take on a traditional pizza is totally sync-free if you choose to use your Healthy Extra allowance for cheese.
For the base:
- spray oil
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp each of dried basil and parsley
- 600g of extra lean ground beef (mince)
- 1 tablespoon of tapioca, arrowroot or cornstarch (1.5 syns)
For the sauce:
- 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon of sukrin
- fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3/4 cup (180ml) of crushed tomatoes
For the toppings:
- fresh basil, chopped
- fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1/3 of a red bell pepper sliced,
- 1/3 of a yellow bell pepper sliced
- 150g (5.5 oz) of mozzarella, grated
- Preheat oven to 232c (450f)
- Add to a bowl, all the ingredient for the base and mix just till combine.
- Grease dish with spray oil
- Add meat mixture to dish and flatten firmly all across the dish, so it is an equal thickness.
- Using a fork, pierce all over the base.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 mins.
- In a bowl mix together the ingredients for the sauce.
- Once base has cooked for 10 minutes, you will notice juices will have released from the base, but do not pour it all out (most gets absorbed back into the base as it continues to cook and stops the base from drying out, only remove some if it looks excess, it will depend on the quality of the ground beef you are using)
- Spread the sauce on top,
- Add 2/3 of the mozzarella, then add all toppings as suggested or toppings of your choice.
- Top with the remaining 1/3 of mozzarella and place back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Then place under the broil (grill) for a couple of mins, just till the top is lovely and golden (keep an eye on it as this stage, as it will brown on top very quickly)
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped Italian parsley and basil
- Slice with a pizza cutter and carefully transfer to a plate of board. Enjoy your cooking