CREAMY CAJUN CHICKEN MEATBALL PASTA
These tender chicken meatballs are smothered in a rich and flavorful Cajun cream sauce. This simple chicken dumpling recipe makes the best homemade juicy and golden brown meatballs that are perfect served as an appetizer or main course.
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tbs of fresh chopped parsley
- 100g (3.5oz) of zucchini, grated
- 455g (1lb) of extra lean chicken mince (ground chicken)
FOR THE CAJUN SPICE:
- 1/2 tsp of thyme
- 1.5 tbs of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt and black pepper
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 cup (200g) of diced tomatoes, canned
- 1/3 cup (80ml) of coconut milk
- 225g (8oz) of brown rice pasta
- 1 tbs of tomato paste (puree)
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- cooking oil spray
- 1 onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 220c/200c fan/425f
- Add the chicken mince, paprika, salt, onion powder, cayenne (if using) and fresh parsley to a bowl.
- Squeeze excess liquid from the zucchini (courgette) and add this to a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add a little bit of the beaten egg at a time, until the mixture all comes together, you prob will not use the whole egg (I only used half), as otherwise the mixture will be too wet, you just want enough to bind.
- Roll into approx 12 meatballs and place on a baking tray lined with parchmemnt paper.
- Spray over the top with cooking oil spray and place in the oven and bake for 10 mins, just to firm slightly. Remove and set aside.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray, add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes, adding in a little stock if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further 30 secs.
- Add in the cajun seasoning, diced tomatoes and tomate paste and mix till all combined.
- Pour in the stock and stir to a sauce, then carefully place in the meatballs, spooning some of the sauce over the top, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 mins until meatballs are cooked through and sauce has reduced slightly and thickened.
- While the meatballs are cooking, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/3 cup (80ml) of pasta water and then drain.
- Carefully remove the meatballs and stir in the coconut milk, until the sauce becomes silky and creamy.
- Then add in the pasta and stir to coat, using some of that reserved pasta water to loosen up the sauce as needed.
- Add back in the meatballs and carefully toss into all the pasta and sauce, then season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle with the chopped spring onion and parsley. Enjoy your dinner!