VIETNAMESE CARAMEL BEEF
This dish is pure magic. As the sauce wears off, the beef turns into a sweet, shiny, caramel-coated wonder. A tangy marinated salad loaded with fresh herbs balances all this richness.
- 1 kg beef
- 1 eschallot / shallot
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp water1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup / 100g brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups / 375 ml coconut water
- 2 garlic cloves , minced2 garlic cloves , minced
- Red chilli and finely sliced shallots/green onionsRed chilli and finely sliced shallots/green onions
- Place sugar and water in a large pot over medium heat. Stir, then when it bubbles and the sugar is melted (it looks like caramel), add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir, then adjust the heat so it is simmering fairly energetically. Not rapidly, not a slow simmer.
- Simmer for 1.5 hours, uncovered. Stir once or twice while cooking.
- At around 1.5 hours, when the liquid has reduced down and the beef is tender
- Stir and the beef will brown and caramelise.
- Once the liquid is all gone and it's now stuck on the beef pieces, it's ready.
- Serve over rice, garnished with fresh chilli and shallots. Simple pickled vegetables are ideal for a side because the fresh acidity pairs well with the rich beef. Enjoy your dinner!