The best coffee cake recipe! It's chewy, delicious, and perfect for showers, breakfast, and parties!
- Eggs 2
- Butter 200g
- Soured cream 125g
- Self-raising flour 250g
- Baking powder a pinch
- Instant coffee 3-4 tbsp
- Muscovado sugar 200g
- Golden caster sugar 200g
- Instant coffee 1 tbsp mixed with 1/2 tbsp boiling water
- Butter 125g, at room temperature
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Icing sugar 250g
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- To make the cake, put the butter, sugars and 250ml water in a pan, and heat gently until the butter has melted.
- Take off the heat and stir in the flour, coffee, baking powder, eggs and soured cream.
- Mix to a smooth batter.
- Pour into a lined 20 x 30cm cake tin (leave some baking paper overhanging to help lift the cake out, once done) and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Cool, then lift out.
- To make the icing, gradually beat the icing sugar into the butter, along with the coffee.
- Spread all over the cake then dust with cocoa powder. Enjoy your cake!