TUSCAN LENTIL SOUP
Hearty and healthy, lentils simmer alongside green vegetables and fresh herbs. Don't forget to garnish the bowls with fresh Parmesan shavings.
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 c. fresh spinach
- ¾ tsp. dried basil
- 1 c. dry green lentils
- ¾ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 8 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 c. quartered cherry tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large stock pot or Dutch-oven set over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, the add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes; drain any excess fat.
- Stir in the garlic and onion, cook until fragrant. Sprinkle in the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt and black pepper. Add the bay leaf and then pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and lentils and cook for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, add in the tomatoes and zucchini, continue simmering for 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Stir in the spinach and wilt, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately, top with parmesan shavings if desired. Enjoy your souup!