ROASTED BROCCOLI QUINOA SALAD
Roasted broccoli and quinoa quinoa salad with roasted broccoli, spinach, pistachios, green onion, lemon and feta cheese. This healthy salad is excellent as a side dish or main course.
- 1 sweet potato, chopped into ¼ – ½ inch chunks
- 1 bunch laccinto kale, roughly chopped
- crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ pound broccoli, cut into florets
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups water (or veggie broth)
- 3 Tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- juice from one lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Rinse and drain quinoa if needed. Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer, cover and let it cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat after 15 minutes and place quinoa in a large bowl to cool.
- Drain and rinse your canned chickpeas. Place the chickpeas on a paper towel or hand towel to dry.
- Toss broccoli and sweet potato chunks with enough olive oil to coat and season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast veggies at 425ºF for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add your kale and chickpeas to the roasting pan. Add a bit more oil, salt and pepper, if needed and toss. Roast for another 15 minutes. Stirring the veggies around at least once during the roasting process.
- Once your veggies are nice and roasted, remove from the oven and combine them with the quinoa.
- Chop parsley, crumble feta and add to the quinoa and vegetable mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar and maple syrup. Gently stir in oil, and add salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Toss dressing over quinoa/vegetable mixture. Taste and season with more salt and pepper before serving, if needed.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for 4-5 days. As the salad sits it tends to soak up the dressing and become dry. If needed, add an extra splash of lemon to brighten it back up before serving. Enjoy your salad!