RIGATONI with SAUSAGE
This easy sausage rigatoni recipe is made with everyday ingredients. Lots of Italian sausages simmered in a tomato garlic sauce make the best easy dinner!
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- Handful fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 lb rigatoni
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add oil to a large, wide pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add in the onion and crushed red pepper and cook until the onion is very soft, about 10 minutes. Add in the sausage and, using a wooden spoon, break it into small pieces. Cook until sausage is brown and no pink color remains.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add in the tomatoes and wine (or stock) and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to burst and give off their juices, about 10 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to gently press the tomatoes if they're not bursting on their own. Stir in the zucchini and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the rigatoni into the boiling water and cook for 9 to 10 minutes, or until al dente.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Toss the pasta immediately into the pot with the sauce and stir well to combine. Add in some of the reserved cooking water, if needed. Finally, stir in the basil.
- Remove from heat and divide among serving bowls. Top with cheese and serve at once! Enjoy your dinner!