GNOCCHI with POMODORO SAUCE
A hearty and hearty meal! Pomodoro shrimp gnocchi are made with a homemade sauce, fresh zucchini, cherry tomatoes, soft gnocchi and tender shrimp.
- 4 stems fresh oregano
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream optional
- 3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 4 stems fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 16- ounce package DeLallo potato gnocchi
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can DeLallo San Marzano tomatoes
- 8 ounces cherry size mozzarella balls cut in half
- 2 stems fresh basil plus 2 more stems for garnish
- 1/4 cup DeLallo extra virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoons
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil to a 10-inch high sided sauté pan or a saucepan over medium heat. Add the parsley, oregano, rosemary and 2 stems of basil and cook for about 5 minutes or until the herbs become crisp.
- Remove the herbs and discard then add the onion and garlic to the oil, lowering the heat if needed so the onions cook gently and don't brown. Cook until the onions are transparent, about 5-7 minutes, then crush the tomatoes with your hand and add to the pan with juice.
- Season with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thicken, stirring occasionally. Stir in the heavy cream and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add the gnocchi. Season generously with kosher salt and cook until the gnocchi float to the top of the boiling water.
- Drain and then place the gnocchi into the cooked sauce. Top with the halved mozzarella balls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese then drizzle the tops of the gnocchi with the remaining olive oil.
- Broil for 5-8 minutes or until the cheese melts and the tops become crispy. Garnish with additional basil leaves and serve immediately. Enjoy your dinner!