CARROT CAKE BREAKFAST COOKIES
These Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies are a portable breakfast or snack similar to a Cliff bar.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup grated carrot chopped smaller if desired
- 1 cup finely chopped or grated apple
- 1 cup oat flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together applesauce, honey (or maple syrup), egg and vanilla. Mix in the melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the grated carrot and apple.
- Use a large scoop or measuring cup to drop 1/4-cup portions of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Use your fingers to gently shape the cookies and flatten slightly, as they won't flatten on their own during baking.
- Bake 14-15 minutes, until set and lightly golden. (If baking more than one pan at a time, be sure to rotate the pans halfway through the baking time.)
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy your breakfast!