SUPERFOOD BREAKFAST COOKIES
These delicious breakfast cookies are loaded with healthy superfoods!
- 3 tablespoons coconut nectar/syrup, honey, or other liquid sweetener
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (use certified gluten-free oats, if needed)
- ½ cup unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas) or other seed/nut
- 1 large mashed banana or ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup dried cranberries, raisins, or other dried fruit
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or other milk of choice
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup oat flour
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl—oats, oat flour, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, ground flaxseed, chia seeds, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in mashed banana, coconut oil, coconut nectar, and almond milk until well blended. Let mixture rest for 4–5 mintutes, giving time for chia and flax to bind everything together. Should look like the dough in the photo above. If your dough has gotten too thick, stir in an additional 1–2 tablespoons milk before scooping out onto your baking sheet.
- Measure dough out by the scant ¼ cupful and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or lightly greased). These cookies don't spread much while baking, so I like to gently press the dough with the palm of my hand to flatten a bit.
- Bake for 15–18 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden around the edges.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 2–3 days. Makes 8–9 cookies. Enjoy your breakfast!