ITALIAN BEEF RAGU
Ragu is one of those recipes that really showcases the beauty of Italian cuisine - everyday ingredients, quick preparation, long cooking.
- 2 cups sieved tomatoes (passata) (470g)
- 8.8 oz 250g ground beef (mince) (250g)
- 1 cup (230ml) red wine (240ml)
- 4 cups beef stock (1 litre)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 white onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- Finely chop the carrot, onion and celery and sweat the vegetables gently in a large frying pan with the olive oil. Once the vegetables are soft add the ground beef and pork and cook until browned.
- If there is a lot of excess fat in the pan, drain some out. Add the red wine and reduce by half. Once the wine has reduced by half add the passata and half of the beef stock and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir the sauce and let it simmer on a low heat for 2 and a half hours topping up the rest of the stock as it reduces.
- Remeber to check on the ragu every now and then to stir it and add extra stock or water if needed.
- To serve with pasta add cooked pasta into the ragu and toss or use as desired. Enjoy your dinner!