FRESH CORN ZUCCHINI CHOWDER
Creamy and fresh zucchini corn chowder loaded with seasonal corn and zucchini! This low-fat chowder is made with fresh sweet corn on the cob, without flour.
- 1 jalapeno, diced (remove seeds/ribs before to control spice)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 lb. yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cup yellow onions, diced
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large dutch oven, heat the butter over medium high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Add the garlic, jalapenos, and potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring so the veggies don't stick to the pot.
- Add the broth, bay leaf, and thyme, bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and let simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the potatoes are half way cooked. Add the zucchini and corn kernels and continue to cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. You can check the doneness by gently piercing with the tip of a knife.
- Remove the bay leaf, transfer 2 cups or more (see notes) into a food processor and process until smooth. Pour the blended mixture back into the pot. Heat the soup over medium high heat, add the half and half and let come to a gentle simmer. Serve topped with fresh parsley and smoked paprika if desired. Enjoy your soup!