DARK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE TART
Espresso enhances and intensifies the dark chocolate flavor of my truffle pie. I make the crust with toasted nuts and sprinkle the cooled dessert with cocoa before serving.
For the crust:
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
For the ganache:
- 1 tbsp flaky sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tbsp butter, room temperature, cut into 1 tablespoon-ish pieces
- 12 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
For the whipped cream:
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- granulated sugar or powdered sugar, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make the crust, grind the chocolate wafers in a food processor and measure out 1 1/2 cups. Combine with the melted butter until everything is evenly moistened and the mixture feels like wet sand.
- Press the crust into a 10-inch tart pan with a removeable bottom, and up the sides, making sure it is well packed in and even. Using the bottom of a flat measuring cup helps.
- Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool.
- To make the ganache, heat the heavy cream in a saucepan until it is just starting to simmer.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate, and let sit for a few minutes. (Exactly how long will depend on how big your chocolate pieces are. The smaller the pieces, the more quickly they will melt. You want to err on the side of not letting the cream cool down too much so that the ganache is still warm and will pour smoothly.)
- Whisk together the chocolate and cream until the mixture is smooth and shiny. Add the butter, a couple pieces at a time, whisking well.
- Pour the ganache into the prepared tart shell. Carefully place the tart in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours before slicing. Scatter the sea salt over the top of the tart when it has set so that it doesn't sink in to the chocolate.
- Tip: if you're worried about your knife sticking to the fudgey chocolate filling while slicing, running your knife under hot water and wiping it clean just before slicing will help get a nice clean slice.
- To make the whipped cream, whip the cream, vanilla paste, salt and sugar together until it forms soft peaks. Enjoy your cake!