This tasty Greek 'pie' has a creamy spinach and feta cheese filling layered between sheets of crispy phyllo dough.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 Tbsp butter, melted
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 lb phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- several grinds of black pepper
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbles
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh dill (or parsley)
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
- Add the onion and scallions, cooking until softened — 5-7 minutes.
- Add the spinach, one handful at a time, and cook until it is all fully wilted and the liquid has been released. Turn the heat up to high and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the spinach is dry — 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the dill.
- Let the spinach mixture cool until you can handle it, then squeeze out any excess moisture.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs, feta, parmesan, salt, and pepper together. Add to the cooked spinach and mix until combined.
- Lightly butter a 9×13 baking dish, and unroll the phyllo dough onto a dry surface.
- You may need to trim the phyllo dough, depending on the exact size of your dough and pan.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo dough down into the pan. Brush it liberally with melted butter. Repeat until there are 8 sheets, all with butter (including the top sheet), in the pan.
- Spread the spinach mixture out evenly on top of the phyllo dough.
- Repeat the phyllo process on top of the spinach, so there are 8 buttered sheets on top and below the spinach. Tuck in any loose edges of phyllo.
- With a very sharp knife, cut through the top layers of phyllo and the spinach, taking care to not cut the bottom layers of phyllo, into diamonds.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes while preheating the oven to 350 F.
- Bake the spanakopita for 45 minutes, or until the top is crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before cutting all the way through to the bottom.
- Serve warm! Enjoy your breakfast!