CHOCOLATE CHIP & PECAN MERINGUE BARS
It's hard to resist these gorgeous coconut and brown sugar meringue cookie bars. A sweet cookie crust stacked with chocolate chips, coconut and pecans and topped with a gorgeous brown sugar meringue.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Press into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until brown sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until thick and glossy. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Spread over dough in pan.
- Bake on a lower oven rack until meringue is lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife, cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy your dessert!