CHINESE BEEF and BROCCOLI
Tender and juicy beef and broccoli covered with a special shiny sauce.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 lb flank steak/skirt steak
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 4 tsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
To Tenderise the Beef
- Slice beef the beef across the grain, into 1/4″ / 0.5cm thick strips (see bulk of post for detailed pictures) and place in a non-metallic bowl.
- Sprinkle with the baking soda and gently mix so all the beef is coated.
- Set the beef aside for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the beef extremely well and then pat it dry with kitchen paper. (See note 3)
- Prepare the sauce
- Mix the water and cornstarch together in a small jug and then add the oyster sauce, sugar, cooking wine, sesame oil, hoisin sauce and black pepper. Set to one side until needed.
Whilst the beef is tenderizing cook the broccoli
- Place a large nonstick skillet over a medium high heat, add in the broccoli and a 1/4 cup of boiling water.
- Cover the and allow the broccoli to steam for 2 minutes (or to your desired doneness). The water should all have evaporated. Transfer broccoli to a plate.
To make the stir fry
- Place the skillet back over a high heat and heat for at least 1 minute. Add in the oil and once it is shimmering add the beef in a single layer.
- Cook, without touching for 1 minute then add the broccoli back into to the skillet and stir well.
- Stir in the thinly sliced garlic and grated ginger.
- Immediately give the sauce a good stir and add it the pan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy your dinner!