BUTTERMILK CORNBREADS with GREEN OLIVE
With the addition of herbs, green olives and buttermilk, cornbread is even better! They are really easy to make, are ready in less than an hour, but are really impressive.
- eggs 2
- salt ½ tsp
- sugar 1 tsp
- plain flour 200g
- buttermilk 284ml
- gruyere 75g, grated
- baking powder 2 tsp
- cornmeal or polenta 100g
- pitted green olives 50g, roughly chopped
- melted butter 25g, plus extra for greasing
- mixed herbs finely chopped to make 4 tbsp
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 and butter the mini loaf tins. Mix the flour, polenta, baking powder, salt and sugar. In another bowl or jug, whisk the buttermilk, eggs and butter with 1 tbsp water, then stir this into the dry ingredients until well mixed. Add most of the grated gruyère, chopped olives and herbs and fold through.
- Divide the mixture between the loaf tins and scatter with the remaining cheese, olives and herbs.
- Bake the loaves for 20 minutes, or until golden and risen (if using the larger tins they may need 22). Check with a skewer – they’re done when it comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for 15 minutes, then carefully turn out and cool on a wire rack, or eat with extra butter while still oven warm. Enjoy your dessert!