PUFF PASTRY STRUDEL with VEGETABLES and CHEESE
Are you trying to eat more vegetables? Here is an absolutely delicious and flavorful vegetable strudel that is so tasty you won't miss the meat at all!
- 1 heaped teaspoon Herbes de Provence French or Italian seasoning
- 3.5 oz grated mozzarella cheese 100g, low-moisture mozzarella
- 7 oz cremini mushrooms 200g, or button mushrooms
- 1 sheet puff pastry 8.5oz/240g
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/3 broccoli head 5.3oz/150g
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons frying oil
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 egg
- Divide the broccoli into very small florets, cut the bell pepper into small cubes, mushrooms into slices.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Place the broccoli and bell paprika in an even layer. Don’t stir for a minute, then cook, stirring from time to time for a few minutes, until the vegetables are soft and browned. Add the herbs and garlic, cook for another minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer on a large chopping board.
- Add a second tablespoon of oil and mushrooms to the pan. Cook just like the vegetables. Transfer to the chopping board.
- Chop finely the vegetables and mushrooms. Set aside to cool completely. Once cooled, stir in the cheese. Place the bowl with the vegetables in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 400°F / 200°C / Gas Mark 6, no fan (if you have a convection oven, reduce the temperature by 20°).
- Sprinkle the puff pastry well with flour and roll out on a sheet of baking paper into a long rectangle. Arrange the filling on its half. Cover the filling with the second part of the dough and press the edges of the dough together to seal. It should look like a strudel.
- Divide the dough with a sharp knife into parts.
- Make the egg wash – whisk the egg with milk. Brush the pastry with the mixture.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the dough is golden. Wait 10-15 minutes before dividing it into parts. Enjoy your cooking!