SMALL BATCH COCONUT MACAROONS
These coconut macaroon cookies earned me my first ribbon at the county fair.
- pinch salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Spread the coconut on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and toast for about 5 minutes or until slightly golden. Remove pan from the oven and set aside.
- Whisk the egg white, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix until the egg white and the sugar is completely combined.
- Gently stir in the toasted coconut and mix until coconut is evenly moistened.
- Using wet hands, a small ice cream scoop, or two tablespoons, shape, scoop or spoon the coconut mixture into small balls and place on baking sheet spaced about an inch or so apart.
- Bake the macaroons for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Optional: Dip bottoms of macaroons into melted chocolate. Enjoy your cooking!