Crispy Chicken Sandwich Recipe
It really doesn't get better than crisp, juicy fried chicken on toast with smoked paprika sauce.
- 4 toasts
- 1 large egg
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp water
- Lettuce leaves
- kosher/sea salt
- unsalted butter
- ½ English cucumber
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
Garlic Tonkatsu Sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 head garlic
- 1-2 Tbsp Tonkatsu Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Set a rack in the middle position. Start from Garlic Tonkatsu Sauce. Using your fingers, peel away most of the loose outer layers around the head of garlic. Trim about ¼ inch off the top of the head of garlic. Drizzle about 1-2 tsp. of olive oil over the exposed surface of the garlic and let the oil sink into the cloves.
- Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil and roast in the oven for 40 minutes (depends on the size of your garlic). The garlic is done when a center clove is completely soft when pierced with a paring knife. You can leave it in the oven a little longer for a more caramelized flavor.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup panko and 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a frying pan and toast over medium heat until golden brown. Try not to break the panko pieces with your spatula (I know it’s hard) and try shaking the frying pan instead of over mixing.
- When panko is nice golden brown, transfer to a bowl (or tray) to let cool.
- Butterfly the chicken breast. With the edge of a knife parallel to the cutting board, cut the length of the side of the breast. Carefully slice the breast in half widthwise almost to the other edge. Keep the edge intact and open the breast along the fold. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Crack the egg into a medium bowl and add 1 Tbsp. water. Whisk well to combine.
- Put ¼ cup flour in a bowl (or large tray). Dredge the chicken in flour and shake off excess flour off, and then dip in the egg mixture.
- Then dredge the chicken in toasted panko and place it in a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- If your garlic is not done yet by this time, move it to a higher rack or place it in an open space inside the oven. Bake the chicken at 400F (200C) for 30 minutes, or until it’s done.
- When the garlic is done, let it cool slightly and press on the bottom of a clove to push it out of its paper. You can use a knife to take it out as well. Put all the roasted cloves in a small bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp. of Tonkatsu Sauce and 1-2 Tbsp. Japanese mayonnaise and mix all together.
- Slice the cucumber with a peeler and cut the tomato into thin slices.
- Toast the sandwich bread (optional) and spread the butter. Put the lettuce and the chicken katsu on top. Spread generous amount of Garlic Tonkatsu Sauce on the chicken.
- Put the cucumber, tomato slices and another toast on top. Cut the sandwich in half and serve immediately. Enjoy your cooking!