VEGGIE FAJITA QUINOA CASSEROLE
This quinoa fajita chicken cooking is bursting with Mexican-inspired flavors. It is filled with lean, protein, vegetables and quinoa, which makes it very easy to get a healthy meal on the table!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 and 1/2 cups Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- Diced avocado, tomato, cilantro, and red onion, diced, for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chipotle chili flakes (add a little more if you like heat)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan add 2 cups water and cook quinoa according to package instructions. Once fully cooked, transfer it to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in crushed chipotle chili flakes, chili powder, dried oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Add in the red, orange, and yellow peppers and red onion, stir to combine and cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes. Add in the crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the white beans and remove from heat.
- Into the large bowl holding the quinoa add the pepper mixture, cilantro, and half of the cheese; stir well to combine.
- Spread the quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish and evenly top with the remaining cheese. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden, bubbly, and melted.
- Serve at once, garnished with avocado, tomato, cilantro, and red onion, if desired. Enjoy your cooking!