SPINACH FETA SCONES
The spinach and feta scones are made with sautéed fresh spinach and crumbly feta cheese for a tasty treat with a soft crumb.
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- fresh cracked pepper for finishing
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into small chunks
- 3 3/4 teaspoons baking powder (make sure to use fresh baking powder)
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, plus a few table spoons for brushing the tops of scones
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (if you don’t have kosher salt, reduce the amount of salt by half (kosher salt is less salty)
- Preheat oven 450 degrees.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender (if you don’t have a pastry blender you can use two butter knives), cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is the size of small peas. Place the bowl in the freezer. The key to flaky scones is baking them when the dough is VERY COLD.
- Meanwhile, chop the spinach and crumble the feta.
- Remove the flour/butter mixture from the freezer.Toss in the spinach and feta and mix well. Add the cream and stir until moistened. (NOTE: The dough will be crumbly.) Dump the mixture onto a clean, lightly floured work surface. At this point you may need to add a few more tablespoons of cream to get the mixture to stick together. Add just enough so that the mixtures holds together. Handle the dough as little as possible another key to flaky pastries. Place the dough into an 8-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper. Pat and level the dough into a disk (see photos above). Next, invert the pan to remove the dough round and place it on a cutting board. Cut the round into 8 wedges. Place the wedges about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops with cream. Give a quarter-turn to the pepper grinder and top each scone with pepper (to taste).
- Bake at 450 degrees on middle rack of oven for 14-16 minutes. They are done when the tops are golden brown. Enjoy your cooking!