SPICY VEGETABLE SAMOSAS
This version uses egg rolls or wontons and the samosas are cooked rather than fried. Serve hot with a mango or coriander chutney. Make sure to cut the vegetables into small dice.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp red or yellow curry powder
- 1/8 tsp - 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, depending on how hot and spicy you like your samosas
- 1 medium carrot, chopped fine
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- optional - red or green chili peppers to taste, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- about 1 1/2 cups green peas, fresh or thawed from frozen
- 10 egg or spring roll wrappers, either egg-free (vegan) or regular
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger, grated (can substitute about 1/4 tsp dried ground ginger)
- Combine the oil and spices in a large nonstick skillet over medium low heat.
- Stir the spices around in the oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, raise the heat to medium and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic powder and water. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to turn the heat down a bit midway through the simmering.
- Stir in the peas and cook for a few more minutes until they're heated through.
- Take the skillet off the heat and let the samosa filling come to room temperature. You can speed this up by transferring the filling to another container.
- When you're ready to fill your samosas, position two racks in the middle of the oven and heat it to 375. Give two cookie sheets a pretty good coating of nonstick, and have a little container of water, a pastry brush and your wrappers ready.
- As you wrap the samosas, arrange them on the cookie sheets without them overlapping.
- Thoroughly douse them with more nonstick spray to help them brown, then pop them into the oven for about 8 minutes.
- Get them out, turn them over to brown on the other side, and return them to the oven, switching rack positions, for another 8 minutes.
- You can eat them straight out of the oven, let them cool a bit first, or let them cool completely and reheat at 350 for 5-8 minutes. Enjoy your cooking!