Spanish Seafood Paella Recipe
This saffron seafood paella is filled with mussels, clams and shrimp. Cook it on the grill for better flavor. It serves a crowd and would be so much fun for your next barbecue!
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more as needed
- 2 c Calasparra, risotto or forbidden white rice (organic)
- 1/4 c flat leaf parsley (roughly chopped)
- 2 links chicken andouille sausage sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes + more to taste
- 3 c shrimp stock or vegetable stock
- 2 lobster tails (cut in half lengthwise)
- 1/2 c steamed green peas (optional)
- 1 lb wild large shrimp (tails on)
- 1/2 c green olives (optional)
- 1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 3/4 c dry white wine
- 1 spanish onion diced
- 1/2 lb manilla clams
- 1/2 lb black mussels
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Using the kitchen shears cut the lobster tails lengthwise. Rinse and pat them dry, the transfer to a bowl together with the shrimp.
- Drizzle with a lug of olive oil and season generously all over with the sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, coriander, red pepper flakes and smoked paprika. Set aside to rest at room temperature.
- Warm up the shrimp or vegetable stock and season to your taste with sea salt. Add the saffron threads, cover with a lid and allow it to steep while you start the paella.
- In a large deep skillet heat up 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the diced onion with a pinch of sea salt and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and give it a good stir making sure not to burn it.
- Stir in the rice making sure it coats nicely in the olive oil.
- Add half of the white wine and let it simmer until almost evaporated. Stir in the saffron stock and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight lid, turn the flame down to low and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the flame and allow the rice to sit covered for 5 minutes without peaking.
- In a different skillet heat up a lug of olive oil and sear the andouille sausage until golden.
- Add the lobster tails and give everything a nice toss in all the oils.
- After about one minute add the shrimps and stir to coat. Cook for about 3 minutes until the shrimps curl up and the lobster tail shells turn red. Transfer on top of the paella rice.
- In the same pan that the lobster and shrimp has cooked in, add the clams and mussels. Hit them with the remaining white wine and cover with a lid.
- Allow them to cook for a few minutes until they open and release the sea water. Transfer them on top of the paella together with the sausage, shrimp and lobster.
- Reserve the juices the clams have cooked in to spoon over the paella.
- Serve your paella sprinkled with the green peas, the parsley and garnished with lemon wedges. Enjoy your dinner!