Rustic Italian Crusty Bread
This homemade rustic crispbread is the most delicious crispbread out of your oven! So simple, it doesn't need a mixer or kneading!
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 c warm water
- 1 package instant dry yeast 1/4 oz
- 6.25 c all purpose flour + more for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl or your kitchen aid mixer add the flour, salt and yeas. Use a spatula or the paddle attachment and mix to combine.
- Pour in the warm water and keep mixing until everything is incorporated and a soft dough has formed. It will still stick to the bottom of the bowl and that is OK.
- Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap loosely and a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 450”F with a pizza stone inside for about 45 minutes before baking the bread. Fill an oven proof bowl with 2 inches of water and place it on the bottom rack. This will create the steam that will cause the crust to become crispy as it bakes.
- Sprinkle some flour on your kitchen counter and dump the bread dough on it. Flour your hands to help it out of the bowl as it might be sticky.
- With floured hands fold the dough onto itself forming it into a round ball. Do not knead it, do not handle it anymore than you need to. Use a sharp knife and lightly carve an X in the top of the loaf or just make a few cuts across.
- Place the bread dough on top of a lightly floured pizza peel or cardboard and gently slide it on top of the hot pizza stone.
- Bake the bread for about 45 minutes until golden brown all over and cooked through. Enjoy your breakfast!