MINI CARAMEL APPLE PASTRIES
The mini caramel apple pie is a small bite of apple pie loaded with pecans, raisins and sprinkled with caramel for the perfect aperitif or snack!
- 16 oz or 450 g Flaky or Puff Pastry.
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 4 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Dulce De Leche.
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced.
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon (or more if you like!)
- First, if you are making your own pastry, do that and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200 C, 400 F
- Prepare all the ingredients. Peel and slice the apples (about 1/2 inch thick slices) like in the photos, and then halve each slice.
- Place in a bowl and add the lemon juice, cinnamon and HALF of the brown sugar. Mix so the apple slices are coated.
- Cut out 10 squares of pastry, measuring approx 3 inches by 3 inches and place on parchment, a baking sheet.
- Line up 4 – 5 apple pieces down the center of each pastry square, then using a sharp knife, cut 4 slits on both sides of the row of apples, at an angle like the photos, and repeat for all the 10 pastry squares.
- Brush the sides of all the squares with some milk, then using a teaspoon, drizzle a little Dulce De Leche along each row of apples. Don’t worry if some of the caramel falls down the sides. It will be ok.
- Now to fold the pastries. Start with the top left piece, and fold in to the center.
- Then take the top right piece, and fold in to the center so it is on top of the left piece.
- Repeat all the way down the pastry so it looks like it is ‘woven’. Enjoy your breakfast!