MARYLAND CRAB CAKES
A staple of Maryland, these crab cakes made from fresh and Old Bay pieces of crabmeat are authentic and easy to prepare.
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning , plus more for garnish
- 2 pounds jumbo lump BLUE crab meat
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Dab crab meat with paper towels to get out excess moisture. Try not to break apart any of the large crab meat lumps.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, Old Bay and lemon juice.
- Add crab meat, panko and lightly beaten egg. Toss lightly using your fingers until just moist, again, trying to not break apart any crab meat lumps. If it isn’t sticking, add more panko slowly until it binds. Carefully form 8 jumbo crab cakes or 16 crab balls.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly grease. Place crab cakes on baking sheet.
- Preheat broiler to high heat. Place 4-5 inches from heating element. Broil until lightly brown on top, approximately 7-8 minutes.
- Remove, transfer to serving plates using a spatula and then garnish with minced parsley (optional) and a sprinkle of Old Bay seasoning. Serve with your choice of dipping sauces. Enjoy your cooking!