KOREAN BEEF BULGOGI
Korean barbecue beef, bulgogi, is very easy to prepare at home with a few basic ingredients, and thinly sliced beef doesn't take long to marinate.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup Asian pear (grated)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
Chill the Steak:
- Wrap the flank steak in plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap and slice across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the "Marinade" ingredients. Add them to gallon size Ziploc bag, and add the steak slices.
- Marinate for at least 2-3 hours or overnight, turning the bag occasionally.
- Place a large cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat and once heated through add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is hot, working in batches, add the steak slices to the pan in a single layer and cook until charred, flipping once, it takes about 2-3 minutes per side to cook.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and cook the rest of the steak.
- Serve immediately over rice if desired, garnished with chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy your dinner!