Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken bowls are delicious bowls of rice, chicken and vegetables with coconut rice, sauceed vegetables and chicken filled with a sweet teriyaki sauce and spicy HOUSE!
- Coconut Rice
- 2 zucchinis , sliced
- 1 red onion , sliced thin
- 2 bell peppers , any color, chopped
- 6 chicken tenders (or 3 chicken breasts)
- 1/2 pineapple , peeled and cut into spears
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch+ 2 tsp water , mixed together to make a cornstarch slurry
For the Coconut Rice:
- Add the water, coconut milk, sugar, and salt to a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes, before fluffing with a fork.
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- Make the teriyaki sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for about 1 minute. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the raw chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or longer if using chicken breasts).
Using a grill or grill pan:
- Prepare your grill and heat it to medium.
- If you have a vegetable grill basket to grill the vegetables in, then chop them and grill them in the basket. If not, cut the vegetables into large pieces that will not fall through the grill grates.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables and over the pineapple spears. Grill the vegetables for just a few minutes on each side and then remove to a plate.
- Grill the pineapple next by placing the pineapple spears directly on the grill. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side, and remove to a plate.
- Lastly, place the chicken on the grill. Cook for about a few minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate to rest before slicing.
- Add coconut rice to each serving bowl. Top with grilled veggies, pineapple and chicken. Drizzle a little of the remaining teriyaki sauce on top. Enjoy your dinner!