COD AU GRATIN
This cod gratin is a cheese seafood recipe using raw cod fillets, slowly cooked in a creamy sauce. Topped with grated hard cheese and breadcrumbs.
- 1 tsp summer savoury, dill or tarragon make good substitutions
- 1 ½ cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 3 pounds fresh cod fillets
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- Scald the milk in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes until just under the boiling point.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan add the butter and flour and cook together for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the scalded milk whisking constantly.
- Cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the lemon zest, Dijon mustard, savoury and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the Parmesan cheese just before pouring onto the fish.
- Arrange the fish in the bottom of a greased 9x9 inch baking dish or in individual gratin dishes. Pour the sauce over the fish. Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Mix the cracker crumbs with the olive oil and sprinkle over the cheese. (You can add a little extra savory to the crumbs if you like, about ½ tsp). Bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 350 degrees F until bubbling and the top has evenly browned. Individual gratin dishes should take about 25 -30 minutes, just check the center to see that the fish has fully cooked. Enjoy your cooking!