CHOCOLATE CON CHURROS
These Churros Con Chocolate will win your heart. Crispy cinnamon sticks served with hot chocolate will be perfect.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups of water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- For the chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 oz dark chocolate
- Bring water and salt to a boil. Turn off the heat and pour the flour mixed with sugar, and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to make a smooth dough which separates easily from the edges of the pan. Let cool.
- Heat the oil in a pan for deep frying. Put the dough in a churrera, or a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
- Press to form sticks about 5 inches (12cm) long and gently drop them into the frying oil. Avoid frying too many churros at the same time as they might stick together.
- Using a slotted spoon, turn them during cooking, then when they are golden brown, drain and place on a paper towel immediately.
- Either sprinkle with powdered sugar or leave plain to soak them in hot chocolate.
- Take ¼ cup (50ml) of milk and mix it with cold cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil the remaining milk and chopped chocolate, and stir constantly until chocolate is completely melted with the milk.
- Maintain a small boil and pour the cornstarch dissolved in cold milk. Stir over low heat until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Enjoy your breakfast!