Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
This easy Asian chicken noodle soup is an updated version of the classic chicken noodle soup. It gathers in less than 30 minutes, uses minimal ingredients and will warm you up from the inside.
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Bok Choy
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 pound Portobello mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 6oz. package of Mei Fun Noodles
- 2.5 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1.5 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice Powder
- green onions, optional (for garnish)
- 1.5 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 a large glass dish, marinate the chicken thighs using a 1/2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Chinese Five Spice Powder, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes for at least 24 hours.
- After the chicken has marinated, warm a stock pot with 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium high heat.
- Sear the chicken thighs in small batches for about 5 minutes. (Only sear the chicken, you do not want to cook it all the way through at this point).
- Remove seared chicken from the heat and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Keep the oil and chicken drippings in the pot and reduce heat to medium.
- Add in the ginger and garlic, allow to cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and stir thoroughly. Scrape the bottom of the pot to lift the droppings for extra flavor.
- Add in the soy sauce, chicken broth and water. After adding in liquid, cut the chicken in bite sized pieces and add into liquid.
- Reduce heat to medium low and allow to cook for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, cut the Bok Choy by removing the base and dice all of the remaining green leafs. (You want your Bok Choy cut chunky). Soak the Bok Choy in cold water to thoroughly remove all dirt, about 20 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes have passed, drain the Bok Choy and rinse one more time and then add into soup to allow to cook.
- Prepare the Mei Fun by soaking in hot water for 10 minutes which is the perfect amount of time for the Bok Choy to finish cooking in your soup.
- When the Mei Fun is done, drain Mei Fun and add into soup.
- Top this soup off with chopped green onions. Enjoy your soup!