Apple Fries with Caramel Cream Dip
Crispy apple fries drizzled with cinnamon sugar and dipped in caramel sauce It's fall in dessert.
For the Apples:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Wondra flour
- 1/8 cup cinnamon
- vegetable oil for frying
- 4 to 5 tart apples we used Pink Ladies
For the Dip:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup caramel sauce store bought or homemade (see above)
- 8 oz Cool Whip or 1 cup whipping cream with 1/2 cup sugar- whipped until stiff
- In a fry pan, or deep fryer heat vegetable oil for frying.
- Mix together the buttermilk and sugar in a medium size bowl. Peel and slice apples and add them to the buttermilk mixture as you go to prevent browning.
- In a shallow dish, put a layer of wonder flour. Pull the apples out of the buttermilk mix, one at a time and lightly coat all sides in the flour.
- When oil is nice and hot, gently place coated apples into the oil so they are not touching, when the bottom side begins to turn golden, flip over and brown the second side. Quickly remove to a tray lined with paper towels to soak up excess grease and cool. Sprinkle immediately with cinnamon and sugar while they are hot. Enjoy your dessert!