VEGAN STUFFED PEPPERS
These vegetarian stuffed peppers are made low-carb by exchanging regular rice for cauliflower rice! They are so tasty and delicious that no one will ever know!
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup yellow squash, diced
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, mined
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14oz.) tomato sauce
- 8 oz. package mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (8oz) packages tempeh, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- mineral salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water
- generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 6 large bell peppers (any color), top cut off and seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil/water over medium heat, add onion, garlic and crumbled tempeh, saute for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, parsley, salt and pepper, and tomato sauce, cook for 2 minutes or so. Add rice and mix to combine. Remove from heat.
Stuff bell peppers:
- Fill each bell pepper with vegetable mixture, making sure to pack it well. These are hefty stuffed bell peppers. Cover with lid or tin foil.
- Add optional cheese on top, cover the baking dish with lid or tin foil, and bake on the center rack for 35 – 40 minutes. Remove cover, top with optional grated cheese and bake for another 5 – 10 more minutes. Cooking times vary, adjust to suit your needs.
- Once done, let cool a few minutes and serve with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy your cooking!