STUFFED CALAMARI RECIPE
Stuffed calamari is a classic from southern Italy and a favorite of Francesco Mazzei.
- olive oil
- 8 calamari
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves peeled garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Prepare the breadcrumbs by mixing them with the Parmesan, grated parsley, 1 grated garlic clove and the lemon zest
- Separate the calamari heads from the legs
- Make sure there is no bone left inside the heads
- Stir fry the legs with olive oil and garlic
- Cut the legs into small pieces and mix with the breadcrumbs. It is difficult to know how much breadcrumbs you can fit into each head so to avoid having leftover, combine half then combine more as needed.
- Fill the heads with the breadcrumbs mix pushing the filling all the way down. Do not overfill them as the head will shrinks when cooking and the filling will pop out if it is too full
- Close the ends with a toothpick
- Stir fry the calamari until they become slightly white and pierce the heads so the juices can come out while the heads cook and shrink
- Add 1/2 glass of white wine, cover and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the calamari. If you want red stuffed calamari you can add your tomato sauce after the wine then cook for 10 to 15 minutes
- Once they are ready, place them on the serving dish, remove the toothpick from the heads and pour the juices on top
- If you have any legs left a side serve them with the calamari. Enjoy your cooking!