Spring Leek Soup
This spring leek soup has a luxurious taste, but it is made without cream just vegetables, broth and a hint of parmesan mashed to silky perfection.
- pinch fine sea salt
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pinch ground white pepper
- 1/2 Meyer Lemon juice and zest
- 3 ounces Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1 green onion thinly sliced (for garnish)
- 4, 1/2- inch slices crusty bread toasted (I used whole wheat levain)
- 3 large leeks white and light green parts, sliced in half lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced crosswise
- Preheat broiler.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add leeks and a pinch of sea salt, to help sweat out the liquid. Cook and stir until leeks are tender but not brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add stock and white pepper, bring to boil. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Ladle soup into 4 broiler-safe serving bowls. Place one slice of toasted bread over each serving, pressing it down to submerge. Divide cheese evenly, sprinkling it over each toast.
- Place bowls under broiler and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- If desired, garnish each serving with green onion. Enjoy your soup!