OVEN BAKED FRENCH CRULLER DONUTS
These homemade cruller donuts are dipped in sweet maple frosting. The donuts are light, soft and airy!
- 6 Tablespoons butter, sliced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1½-2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan bring water, butter, sugar, & salt to a boil.
- Lower heat, add in flour and mix well.
- Continue to cook & stir it on low-medium heat for about 4-6 minutes, you want to steam out as much water as you can. Be careful to not burn it.
- Once a thin layer forms on the bottom of the saucepan turn off heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the dough for 1 minute to cool it down.
- Beat in one egg at time, scrapping the sides of the bowl until they are mixed in well.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. degrees.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a ½ inch open star tip.
- Squeeze the dough into circles on a greased or lined cookie sheet, place 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F degrees & bake for 15 more minutes.
- Turn off oven, leave in oven for 5-10 more minutes with door slightly ajar.
- Remove from oven & let them cool down.
- Prepare glaze, mix powdered sugar, vanilla, & milk together until you get a thin enough glaze to dip or pour over the donuts. Start with 1½ tablespoons milk & add more if needed.
- Once donuts have cooled down dip or pour glaze over them. Let glaze set.
- They are best eaten fresh or they will get soggy. Enjoy your baking!