Orange, Cranberry Cream Scones
Homemade cranberry and orange scones are deliciously flaky and tender with a bright orange flavor and hints of juicy cranberries. Crunchy coarse sugar and orange frosting are the perfect finishing touch!
- 200 - 220 ml/(1 cup) cold heavy/whipping cream (35% - 38% butter fat)
- 40g/(3 Tbsp) sugar
- 15g/(1 Tbsp) baking powder
- 80g/(1/2 cup) dried cranberries, diced
- 70g/(5 Tbsp) unsalted butter, cold and cubed (at least 83% butter fat)
- zest of 1 orange
- 280g/(2 cups) all purpose flour
- 3g/(1/2 tsp) salt
- In a large bowl, measure the flour, baking powder, sugar, orange zest and salt. Whisk the flour mixture with a wire whisk to uniformly combine the dry ingredients.
- Incorporate the ice cold, cubed butter into the flour mixture by rubbing or smearing the butter between your fingertips (between thumb, index and middle finger) as you toss them around in the flour mixture. Work fast rubbing through all the big lumps of butter and the mixture should resemble coarse bread crumbs. You can use 2 butter knives to carry out this step instead of using your fingers.
- Mix in the diced cranberries.
- Stir in the cold cream with a spatula or fork until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough onto the table top and give it a few gentle knead (less than 10 kneads) to make it come together as a dough.
- Lightly flour the surface of the table top and press the dough into a 3 - 4 cm thick round disc.
- Lightly flour the surface of the dough and the 4 cm diameter round cutter and cut into pieces. Place the cut pieces, spacing them 3 cm apart, onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Press the remaining scraps together and cut more pieces until the dough is used up.
- Or you can use a knife to cut the scones into 10 equal wedges if you do not own a cookie cutter.
- At this stage, the scones can be frozen and stored in an air tight container for up to a week. Just bake them frozen but you need to add 3 - 5 minutes of extra bake time if doing so.
- Space the scones 3 cm apart and bake in a preheated oven at 220 degrees C or 428 degrees F, on the middle rack of the oven, for 12 - 15 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden brown. Enjoy your cake!