Mushroom Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
These EASY three-cheese lasagna rolls are stuffed with zucchini, ricotta and parmesan, then topped with marinara and mozzarella - delicious, kid-friendly, and great if you want to feed the crowd.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil for brushing + 1 additional Tablespoon for sauteing
- 4 large zucchini thinly sliced lengthwise (I used a mandoline)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- a handful or fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces high quality marinara sauce
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped well
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 free range egg
- 1/3 cup organic ricotta
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees f. and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Lay out the zucchini strips on a large cutting board, lightly sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and very lightly brush with 1 Tablespoon of oil.
- Bake strips in your preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly tender and easy to roll. Allow them to cool until ready to handle.
- Meanwhile, add remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add in the onions, mushrooms, Italian seasonings and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in 3/4 of the marinara sauce and simmer your mushroom sauce for about 4 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
- In a medium bowl add ricotta, parmesan cheese, the egg and a tiny pinch of sea salt + pepper, and fresh chopped parsley. Stir well to combine everything.
- Use a 9×13″ casserole dish or an ovenproof cast iron skillet and spread remaining marinara sauce on the bottom.
- To assemble the zucchini rolls, lay out one zucchini slice on a cutting board. Spread about 2 spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture over the top, then a spoonful of mushroom sauce mix.
- Carefully roll up each zucchini after filling, and place in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Pour any remaining mushroom marinara sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and bake for about 15-20 minutes in your preheated oven, or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve immediately alongside a nice fresh salad. Enjoy your cooking!