MIDDLE EASTERN LENTIL SOUP RECIPE
A pot of velvety and delicious soup that is very easy to prepare with classic soup ingredients with a light touch of exotic spices.
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- parsley for garnishing
- lemon juice for serving
- 1/2 tsp salt — more to taste
- 3 garlic cloves — pressed or minced
- 1/2 cup carrots — chopped, optional
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch Oven. Add onion, garlic and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add in the turmeric, salt, pepper, cumin and turmeric. Add lentils and water, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are cooked. Add more water if needed, to thin the soup.
- Add more salt and pepper, if needed to taste. Serve with lemon juice, (adding 1 tsp per bowl makes it taste amazing). Garnish with parsley. Enjoy your cooking!