Malteser Traybake Cake
I had been thinking about making a batch of Maltesers Slice for quite some time now, but when I saw the ball, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to give an Easter touch to one of Granny's best recipes .
- 200 g Plain Flour
- 4 Large Eggs
- 35 g Cocoa Powder
- 100 ml Buttermilk
- 250 g Dark Chocolate
- 250 g Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp Coffee Granules
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 250 g Light Brown Sugar
- 250 g Golden Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 125 g Malt Powder (Horlicks/Ovaltine)
- 400 g Icing Sugar
- 200 g Maltesers
- 2-4 tbsp Boiling Water
- 200 g Unsalted Butter (room temp)
- 75 g Malt Powder (Horlicks/Ovaltine)
For the Cake!
- Preheat your oven to 160C/140C Fan and line a 9x13" Tin with parchment paper.
- In a heatproof bowl, microwave the Dark Chocolate and Butter till melted - I do mine in 30 second bursts!
- Add your Coffee Granules and Malt Powder to a small bowl, and add in 150ml Boiling Water. Whisk till smooth!
- Add this to your Chocolate/Butter mix and whisk again till smooth.
- In a large bowl, add your Plain Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder, Bicarbonate of Soda, Golden Caster Sugar and Light Brown Sugar and whisk till distributed evenly!
- Whisk the Eggs and Buttermilk together till smooth.
- Add your melted Chocolate mix to the bowl, and your Egg/Buttermilk mix, and fold all the ingredients together till they are combined - I use my hand and a spatula, and not an electric mixer as I don't want the ingredients to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin, and bake in the over for 50-60 minutes, or until baked through.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes, and then on a wire rack fully!
For the Decoration!
- With an electric mixer, beat your butter on it's own for a few minutes so it's lovely and supple.
- Add in your Icing Sugar 1/2 at a time and beat for a few minutes!
- Add in your Malt Powder, and beat again - if its stiff, add in 1tbsp of Boiling Water at a time and beat fully each time till its a thick but spreadable and smooth consistency!
- Spread over the cake with an angled spatula, and then sprinkle over some Maltesers and some crushed Maltesers! Enjoy your baking!