LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
Among winter soups, leek and potato is one of the most comforting and familiar - and makes the most of local and seasonal vegans.
- 2 large leeks , (the white and light green part only), chopped
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream (can substitute whole milk)
- 4 sprigs thyme , or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock , or vegetable broth
- Crushed red pepper , optional
- Freshly cracked pepper and salt
- 2 slices beef, choped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 bay leaves
- Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add beef and cook until until crisp and the fat is rendered off into the pan. Add chopped leeks and potatoes to the pan and cook until the leeks are soft.
- Stir in white wine to deglaze the pan. Add stock, bay leaves and thyme and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the potatoes are very soft. Blend the soup with an emersion blender until creamy with just a few chunks. Remove from heat and cool slightly before adding the cream. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed, or a sprinkle of crushed red pepper or hot sauce, if desired.
- Soup will thicken slightly as it cools. Enjoy your soup!