ITALIAN WHITE BEAN SOUP
Get a long simmered flavor in less time with canned creamy cannellini beans, mashed and mixed with basil and lots of vegetables.
- 1 handful Italian flat parsley, chopped
- 2 cans cannellini or other white beans
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Rinse your beans under runny water and drain, you want to remove the cloudy water.
- In a large pot heat gently 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and add 1 chopped garlic clove (keep the other one for the dressing), onion, chilli and cook for about 3 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
- Add cannellini beans, the diced potato and stir well for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth (or hot water) and salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the diced potato is soft, remove the pot from the heat, check the seasoning and the consistency (you might like a thicker or a thinner soup, so you can add or reduce the amount of liquid). Set aside.
- Make the dressing: blend the parsley leaves with the rest of the garlic and 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (2 Tbsp if you like more dressing). Alternatively, you can chop parsley and garlic and then blend all together with the rest of the olive oil.
- Serve drizzled with the parsley dressing and some chilli flakes. Enjoy your cooking!