Epic Chunky Beef and Mushroom Pie
This easy-to-prepare meat pie includes a tasty spicy garnish of ground beef, chili sauce and mushroom- a hearty dinner idea that everyone is sure to enjoy.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup flour (any)
- 1 - 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 celery , finely chopped
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef stock
- 2 bay leaves , fresh or dried
- 1 carrot , finely chopped
- 1 ¼ cups / 312 ml boiled water
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 kg / 2 lb chuck beef , cut into 2.5cm/1” cubes
- 3 carrots , halved lengthwise then cut into 1.5cm/ 3/5” chunks
- 1 – 2 sheets puff pastry (enough to cover pie)
- 300 - 400g / 10 – 13 oz Swiss brown mushrooms , larger ones halved
- 20 g / 0.7 oz dried porcini mushrooms (slices, whole or chopped)
- 300 ml / 10 oz dark ale (or substitute with red wine, Guinness or more beef stock)
- Place porcini in a bowl and add hot water. Leave to soak for at least 30 minutes. Strain mushrooms and reserve soaking liquid. Roughly chop porcini.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large heavy based pot. Add half the beef and brown all over, then remove and repeat with remaining beef. Set beef aside.
- Turn stove down to medium low. If the pot is looking dry, add more oil. Add onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Add finely chopped carrots and celery, cook for 6 minutes or until softened and sweet (taste test!). Add carrot chunks and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir through.
- Add ale, beef stock, and stir to dissolve the flour.
- Add thyme, bay leaves, porcini, reserved porcini soaking liquid (don’t tip in gritty bits settled at bottom) and cooked beef. Turn heat up slightly, mix, bring to simmer, then cover. Adjust heat so it is simmering gently, not energetically.
- Cook for 1 hr 45 minutes or until beef is tender. (See video)
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until golden all over. Toss to coat mushrooms, then stir through stew.
- Simmer stew, uncovered, for 15 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Then remove from stove and cool.
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- Pour stew into a pie dish, even out surface. Pictured pie dish is 24 x 20 x 4.5 cm / 10 x 8 x 1.8" (1.5L / 1.5 Qt) - see Notes for more conversions.
- Top with puff pastry (if too big, just fold the ends in), brush with egg yolk. Cut a few slits in the surface then bake for 30 – 35 minutes until deep golden and the filling is piping hot in the middle (stick a knife in to check).
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving! Enjoy your cooking!