El Pollo Loco
El Pollo Loco chicken is made with a delicious marinade, even the most loyal fan of fried chicken in Kentucky must respect a good El Pollo Loco chicken breast. They are always so juicy, tender and tasty. What many customers find out quickly is that the extremely unique flavor of El Pollo Loco is not just from the chicken. A signature marinade is responsible for the delicious salty taste of El Pollo Loco.
- 1/4 jalapeno seeded and minced very finely
- 8 chicken thighs bone in and skin on
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- Mix up all the ingredients except for the chicken into a large bowl.
- Whisk well then reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade in a small tupperware.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Marinade overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a cast iron grill pan add the chicken skin side up.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Using potholders, add the pan to the stovetop on medium high heat.
- Spray some foil with canola oil spray and put sprayed side down over the top of the chicken.
- Press onto the meat with either a bacon press, a foil wrapped brick or a second heavy pan (I used my normal cast iron skillet on top of the chicken.
- Spoon half the reserved marinade over the chicken while it cooks.
- Cook for another 3 minutes then remove the bacon press/brick, flip chicken (add some more marinade) and cook a final three minutes before serving. Enjoy your dinner!